Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dr. Glen Gatin is in the house

This weeks lecture was presented by Dr. Gatin. The topic I found most interesting was the part on the educational value of using Second Life in the class room. I think i would try to use this program in my Health Education classes. In the grade 11 and 12 health curriculum their are many topics that Second life could demonstrate. For example, we talk about nutrition and mental health. Each student could create a character. Each student could pick out of a hat a topic, such as being a binge eater. Their second life character could then fulfill the topic and the students could see the effects on their second life character (physically, mentally, and socially). Doing this through second life could help students visualize the effects that some events (poor nutrition) have on the body.

I think students would be more willing to learn through this interesting virtual world.

Till next time, these are the Gaudry files.....

2 comments:

  1. That is an interesting idea Aime, one that I hadn't considered. I agree that it would be a much more effective way for the students to learn about these effects in a visual way, rather than reading about it. The only thing I wonder about is what they would actually do in the virtual world. Would there be a goal or objective for them to strive toward? I don't really know the ins and outs of the program myself, but perhaps you could incorporate different lessons within the world, if there is a way to set up a seminar or something of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aime,
    I think your idea about binge eating is really neat. I think that by doing this students will better understand the challenges and health problems associated with unhealthy living. But, this does seem hypocritical-- sitting beside a computer during Phys. Ed. class, but I really think your idea is innovative!

    ReplyDelete